Alpinstore offers you a wide choice of walking shoes, but if you are reading this text it is because you don't know which hiking shoe to choose for your next expeditions? Don't move, we'll tell you more ...
The practice of hiking requires a pair of suitable shoes. Since it is a matter of walking for a few minutes or several hours, it is important to take care of your feet. But then, how do you choose THE hiking shoe that you need?
Be aware that the pair should initially depend on your organisation. What type of hike will you do (duration, terrain ...)? In which season do you go in the mountains? If you have the answer to these questions, then it is easier to find your way around.
Shoes for different practices:
In order to choose the right pair of hiking boots, it is important to study the following criteria and that they will help you in your search.
- Grip: this is essential on a shoe and allows you to move over rough terrain for better grip. The studs provide optimal comfort so no more panic when the ground is unstable.
- Support: The shoe must provide sufficient support for your foot so that you are as comfortable and safe as possible. The more the shoe is adapted to your foot, the more you will be supported. Your performance and comfort will therefore be better. Go to the models of Meindl hiking boots for a perfect fit!
- Stiffness: Stiffness is a point not to be neglected because it means the type of ride for which it was designed. The stiffer the boot, the more it is made for long hikes where the terrain will often be unstable and stony.
- Protection: It is important to have sufficient protection at the tip of the foot, to ensure safety and therefore comfort. The stronger the toe, the more your toes will be protected. Think about this before you set out on rocky trails! Choose to the Italian shoe brand Scarpa.
A walking shoe comes with different technical features, which are much more important than you might think, in the choice of your purchase :
- The outsole: this factor should be one of the best performing on your hiking boots. Indeed it is from here that everything starts. The more the sole is adapted to your practice, the better your hikes will be.
- Tongue and lacing: these factors are essential for a good hike. The more precise the lacing system is, the more pleasant your hike will be. A well-maintained foot is synonymous with performance.
- Toeprotection: As said before, the protection of the tip of the foot is crucial for your outings in the mountains. It's not uncommon to get caught on a rock or trip over a branch... so don't neglect this part of the shoe.
- The upper: This can be of different heights: low, medium or high. The high upper is the safest because it holds your ankle perfectly and covers your malleolus; the mid upper is the most versatile shoe last, it holds your ankle and is lighter than the high one; the low upper is, as you will have understood, the lightest and gives you incredible freedom of movement.
Manufacturers are developing waterproof and breathable membranes to wear your shoes in rainy weather conditions.
Find the technologies: Gore Tex on Millet shoes, Sympatex at Vaude.
Walking shoes for men and women, hiking shoes for children like Kimberfeel hiking boots at low prices for the adventurers, everyone finds the right shoe!
Socks play an essential role for a hike in optimal comfort. On walking socks, there are supports and reinforcements to protect the heel and toe, limiting friction during your outings!
For more information, go to our blog article "how to pick out your hiking boots.".
Alpinstore just told you all about hiking boots so it's up to you now.