The word trail is a shortened of the term "trail running" since it means today, running on trails, in a natural environment. Trail running is simply mountain running. Since the 90s when the first races were organized, this sport has diversified since it can be practiced in different forms such as:
- Ultra trail: running with a minimum distance of 100km. In Haute Savoie, for example, there is the ultra trail around the Mont Blanc.
- Skyrunning: high mountain running race which must exceed at least 2000m altitude, during the course.
- Short trail at medium distance: foot race which includes maximum 30km for short trails and which can go up to 65km with a minimum elevation of 1000m and maximum of 3000m, for medium distance trails.
- The Snow trail: a running race that takes place in winter, in the snow.
Whether they are French or not, these sports legends are known and recognized worldwide thanks to their incredible performances. If you are on this page, it is probably that you know, Mr. Kilian Jornet, the Spanish "ultra terrestrial". This little guy who has already won everything, excels in all mountain disciplines.
The Frenchman François d'Haene, who is very appreciated by the community, is indeed the double winner of the ultra trail of Mont Blanc but also of the ultra trail world tour. Without forgetting Xavier Thevenard, who won three races over 100km and the ultra trail of Mont Blanc.
As you may have understood, trail running takes place in the mountains over long distances, which is why it is important to be well equipped. Whatever your activity and when the sun is out, it is very important to stay hydrated. On the other hand, it is difficult to stop regularly to drink, when the primary goal is to cover kilometers. An ideal trail bag must therefore have:
- A special water pocket compartment. This is where the hydration pack comes in. Many bags are designed for this practice and therefore have a special compartment for the water pocket. Go take a look at Camelbak; Raidlight. Some brands like Ultimate Direction; Scott ; Kinetik even talk about a hydration vest.
- A main compartment spacious enough to store your clothes, whether it's a spare t-shirt, a vest / sweater or a raincoat.
- To be even more efficient on long distances, there are backpacks with stretch pockets on the sides, which accommodate your bottles. Once your hydration pack is finished, don't panic, you have the gourds left! Raidlight for example, offers you this option.
- Adjustable straps to limit friction, whether at the shoulders or the back. When the backpack is in place on your back, the straps play an essential role in ensuring optimal comfort.
- A pocket on the waist belt to keep energy bars close to your hands. Peckish ? Everything is at your fingertips with CMP for example
If you do not want to load your back with a bag, then opt for the trail belt. This one which is also very efficient, is ideal for the shortest distances. It allows you to leave light, while taking with you the bare necessities. Raidlight; Ultimate Direction; Scott; Camelbak or CMP offers you a wide selection.
Alpinstore has told you everything about trail running so do not hesitate any longer and go see our equipment designed for this sport. Believe us, a good trail bag will make you gain in performance, whatever the distance traveled, so make the right choice.