The sleeping bag is an essential element to go trekking, camping or even sleeping under the stars. We help you to choose it by giving you the key points of a good sleeping bag, i.e. the one that corresponds to your needs. At Alpinstore we have of the best sleeping bags for menAt Alpinstore we have sleeping bags for women and sleeping bags for the little ones. There are different criteria on which you can base your choice:
The weight of the sleeping bag
First of all, it is important to look at the weight of the sleeping bag. If you are going trekking and need to carry your sleeping bag all day, it should be as light and compressible as possible. If, on the other hand, you are going on a road trip or camping trip and you don't wear the sleeping bag, the weight is not a determining factor for you and The comfort and warmth of Rab sleeping bags will be perfect.
However, it should be noted that if you need a sleeping bag for trekking with low comfort temperatures, it will inevitably be heavier.
The comfort temperature of the sleeping bag
All sleeping bags have 3 temperatures: comfort, limit and extreme.
- The comfort temperature: this indicates the temperature at which the person is comfortable and does not feel cold in the sleeping bag.
- The temperature limit of comfort: it indicates the temperature where the person must curl up on himself not to feel the cold.
- Extreme temperature: this indicates the temperature where the person feels the cold in their sleeping bag and risks hypothermia.
This is the comfort temperature that you should look at when buying a sleeping bag, as it is the temperature that is closest to your comfort and therefore the guarantee of a good night's sleep in the open air. If you're a cold person, we recommend a sleeping bag with a comfort temperature that's a little lower than the temperature you expect to experience.
To choose your sleeping bag, especially if you are going trekking, it is important to identify the geographical area of your trek, the altitudes where you will be sleeping, the season and the weather conditions in order to establish the comfort temperature you need for your sleeping bag. Then you can choose from our quality Ferrino sleeping bags
The filling of the sleeping bag
The filling of your sleeping bag can also be a factor in determining your choice. For similar temperatures, a synthetic filling is often heavier and less compressible than down, but it is more resistant to moisture. We therefore recommend the synthetic sleeping bag for sleeping under the stars, for bivouacking in wet areas, or if you know that the region is subject to bad weather. The down sleeping bag is often lighter, compressible, insulating and breathable. However, if it gets wet it loses its insulating power, although some down sleeping bags are treated to resist moisture. It is therefore ideal for anyone who needs a light and warm sleeping bag.
The shape of the sleeping bag
There are two types of sleeping bag shapes:
- The sarcophagus sleeping bag allows you to optimize thermal protection by hugging the shape of your body, it is often lighter and takes up less space. It is this shape that is highly recommended if you are going trekking.
- The rectangular sleeping bag or blanket sleeping bag is more comfortable because it gives you more foot space but it offers less thermal protection because there is more air. They are therefore recommended for summer/spring camping.
To optimize your comfort and have a good night's sleep, we give you some recommendations:
- It's best not to layer your clothes inside your sleeping bag, if it's cold, leggings and a warm long-sleeved top are enough.
- If it is cold, protect your extremities by wearing a hat, gloves and socks.
- Good insulation between the ground and the sleeping bag will keep you warm, so it's best to have a mattress.
- If your sleeping bag gets wet, it is important to ventilate it and dry it as soon as possible.
- To bring a little more comfort and/or warmth, we advise you to also buy some Sleeping bag sheetsFor extra comfort and/or warmth, we recommend that you also buy a sleeping bag, ideally made of silk to optimise warmth.
- To maintain the loft of a down sleeping bag, we recommend that you keep it at home out of its protective cover.
- For washing, normally sleeping bags can be washed in a cold machine, but it is important to follow the manufacturers' instructions noted on each sleeping bag.
You just have to choose among our outdoor brands: Millet, Camp, Rab, Lafuma, Mammut, Sea to Summit, Vaude...